Consular Strategy 2015-2018
The consular strategy for the Swedish Foreign Service is based on an analysis of current consular challenges and consular needs over the next few years. The strategy contains proposed measures to strengthen and develop the Foreign Service’s capacity to offer consular services that match the needs.

 Consular Strategy 2015-2018

Consular Handbook
The handbook contains a detailed commentary on the rules and practices laid down in the current regulations concerning Sweden’s honorary consulates and consuls (UF 2008:2), which have replaced the previous regulations ((UF 2000:15). Provisions concerning the keeping of registers and archives are now included in the Government Offices Regulations on Register and Archives at Honorary Consulates (RKF 2009:1). The handbook provides an account on these provisions.

 Handbook for Sweden’s Honorary Consuls (English)
 Handbok för Sveriges honorärkonsuler (Swedish)

Applications for personal/co-ordination numbers for children

The Swedish Tax Agency informs that as of 1 June 2013, all copies of documents accompanying applications for personal/co-ordination numbers for children have to be certified by the Embassy/Consulate. This means that, effective immediately, we will not be able to request such numbers unless the documents we receive from you together with the form "Anmälan namn", such as copies of passports, birth and marriage certificates etc., are certified, signed and stamped by you. Original documents do obviously not need to be certified by you. However, local documents such as birth certificates and marriage certificates, should henceforth be either legalised or have an apostille from the appropriate local authority.

Unless you already have a stamp for the certification of copies, you should contact the Embassy. You add date, signature and the Consulate stamp on the copy.
 Convention abolishing the requirement of legalisation for foreign public documents
 Application for name (in Swedish) nov 2017

Passports and national ID cards
 Information om pass på Ambassadens hemsida
 Information om pass på Polisens hemsida

 Information about passports on the Embassy´s website
 Information about passports on the Police´s webside

Emergency passports

 Requirements for emergency passports (in English)
 Requirements for emergency passports (in Swedish)
 Instructions for the issuing of handwritten Emergency passports (English)

 Certificate of identity (if the person has no ID-document)
 Verification of Swedish citizenship form (English)
 Verification of Swedish citizenship form (Swedish)
 Report of loss of passport
 Guardians certificate form (English)
 Guardians certificate form (Swedish)
 Passport register (example)

All copies of documents accompanying applications have to be certified by the Consulate.

Please note that forms for Emergency passports, that are cancelled for some reason, have to be returned in original to the Embassy.

In January every year the Consulate have to send a report to the Embassy about which passport forms have been used, which are left and which have been cancelled

Consular assistance

Application for assistance (in Swedish)
Power of attorney (in Swedish) Engångsfullmakt för utrikesförvaltningen i konsulärt ärende

Report of Death Abroad
Any death abroad of a Swedish citizen or a person living or having lived in Sweden and having a Swedish personal ID number must be reported by filling in the form Report of Death abroad. If the remains are repatriated to Sweden, the original should accompany them, with a copy to the Emabssy. If the deceased is buried locally the original should be sent to the Embassy, with the death certificate in original, so that the death can be registered in the Swedish population register.
 Guidance document on deaths abroad rev 150303
 Uppgift om dödsfall i utlandet Report death abroad

A Swedish citizen who wants to get married at a Swedish authority abroad (Swedish Embassy, Swedish Church etc.), should apply for a certificate of freedom to marry (Hindersprövningsintyg), by using the form  ”Hindersprövning, ansökan och försäkran”.

A Swedish citizen who wants to get married abroad by a non-Swedish authority (church, registry, etc.), should apply for a Marriage Licence by using the form ”Äktenskapscertifikat, ansökan och försäkran”.

In both cases, i.e. no matter where the wedding is to take place, the application for a person resident in Sweden should be sent to the Swedish Tax Agency, see address on the forms.

If the person is resident abroad, the application should be handed in to the Embassy in the country of residence, who will then handle the application and issue the certificate/licence. This means that the application is handed in to the honorary Consulate, who forwards the documents to the Embassy. The application should be accompanied by copies of the passports of the applicant and the intended spouse, a recent Swedish Extract from the Population Register for the applicant, and a certificate from the local authorities that the applicant is not already married. There should also be information about the address of the applicant as well as of the intended spouse. This can be given in the field “Övriga upplysningar” on the application form. The application fee is SEK 220,-, in local currency, and a receipt that the fee has been paid should also be enclosed. The handling time before the Consulate gets the issued certificate back will normally be about two weeks.

A person/persons not resident in Sweden, regardless of nationality, who wants to get married in Sweden, must apply for a certificate of freedom to marry in Sweden. This application must be presented in person by both parties at an office of the Swedish Tax Agency in Sweden. The applicants must present valid passports (or, if they are EU or Swiss citizens, a valid national ID-card), as well as a certificate each from the local authorities in the country of residence/home country that they are not already married and that there is no impediment to them getting married in Sweden.

A Notification of surname must be made by the couple to the Swedish Tax Agency. This should be done not later than in connection with the marriage ceremony if the wedding takes place in Sweden, or in connection with the registration of the marriage for a wedding abroad. The form ”Anmälan, efternamn” should be used. The form also includes information to the applicants.

 Change of last name (in Swedish) nov 2017
 Hindersprövning, ansökan och försäkran
 Äktenskapscertifikat, ansökan och försäkran (Marriage license) – to certify that a  person is eligible in Swedish law to marry before a foreign authority
 Vägledning äktenskapsärenden

A child born after 1 April 2015 to a Swedish parent automatically becomes a Swedish citizen at birth. Children born before 1 April 2015 become Swedish citizens at birth if their mother is a Swedish citizen. The same applies if the father is a Swedish citizen and the child is born in Sweden. If the child is born abroad the child will become a Swedish citizen if the father is Swedish and married to the child’s mother. 

 Read more about this on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website
 Apply for Swedish citizenship (information in English)
 Automatic Citizenship
 Losing or retaining Swedish citizenship (information in swedish)
(Application for Swedish children and young adults, living abroad, wishing to maintain their Swedish citizenship. Should be submitted before the age of 22)
 Medborgarskapsförklaring (Swedish)
 Declaration of Citizenship (English)

Please find a new page at the website of the Swedish Migration Agency concerning Swedish citizenship for Children born Before 1 April 2015. Here you will also find a new form to fill in concerning notification, Swedish citizenship for Children born abroad with Swedish fahter

For further information:
 Barn fött utomlands före 1 april 2015 med svensk pappa

 Swedish citizenship for children born abroad before 1 April 2015 who have a  Swedish father

Right of residence – for EU-citizens
Working, studying & living in Sweden – If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA-state, you should use this form to register your right of residence. When you have been registered, you will receive a certificate that proves your right to reside in Sweden.
 Registration of right of Residence

Guidelines on various consular matters (in English)
 Guidance concerning consular financial assistance
 Guidance for recovery of consular financial assistance
 ’Help for self-help’ and Consular financial assistance (Manual)
 Guidance on assistance to people in distress by ‘helping them to help themselves
 Guidance document on deaths abroad (rev april 2015)


Guidelines drivers licenses (in Swedish)
 Vägledning om förnyelse av körkort - Guidance on renewal of driving license

 The Swedish Police
 The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)